Sunday 5 August 2012

Bisoke 31 July

Don’t do it!  No only joking it was an experience – but not one I wish to repeat!  We headed off (that is me Martin and Linda) to climb the volcano.  It is 3711’ above sea level so quite high!  We had the usual early start and Francis drove us to the park.  Then we watched the intore dancers before setting off down the bumpiest road yet to the foot of the volcano.  There were only the three of us in the party so that was nice.  We were accompanied by 4 armed guards a porter and a guide.  We walked through fields of pyrethrium (used as the insecticide for mosquito nets) and through potato fields until we finally reached the foot of the volcano. 



As soon as we went over the wall into the park the terrain got more muddy and wet under foot.  It was very, very slippery as it had rained the day before.  We were already gasping for breath and by the time we reached a point which was not even half way we were having serious doubts as to our ability to finish!  Eventually Martin and Linda decided to turn back and I was volunteered to go ahead alone (not that I really wanted to deep down as I was as exhausted as they were!)  Anyway one guard and the guide accompanied me and the rest went back the way we had come.  Eventually after much pulling and lifting and holding hands with the guard (Prosper) I finally managed to reach the summit. 



On the way we did see a golden monkey which was a bonus but no other wildlife (much to my disappointment)  At the top is crater lake which we admired for all of 5 minutes before the mist came down and hid it completely. 



Needless to say there was so much mist we could see no view.  Perhaps I will have to do it again when it is a clear day?  (or then again perhaps not!)  A day to remember and a day that my legs did not let me forget for many days after the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment