Monday 24 October 2011

Week 5


Sorgum drying outside houses on the road to Lake Karago

Lake Karago
Visited Lake Karago today.  Decided to get a moto to the lake and to try to get the bus back.  Didn’t work out quite this way in practise as the moto driver Mateus doesn’t speak much English and decided to accompany me.  No sooner had we arrived at the lake and we were already causing quite a stir.  I ended up with an entourage of around 5 young men who all decided to accompany me around the lake. 

Muddy trainers or what!  Wish I'd brough my boots!                       Bird at the lake





Mathias my moto drive and the entourage

Not quite the tranquil afternoon out I had imagined and no chance of bird watching as they all chattered all the way.  Two of the lads were studying Electronics at S3 (the middle year of secondary school) and another had finished S3 and was looking for work.  We set off over a bridge heading towards the lake shore.



It was like a swamp with oozing mud and bog quickly covering my new trainers both inside and out!  Yuk!  I suggested we turn back as it was too muddy so they then decided they knew a way around the lake so off we went.
On the way we saw a bee hive in a tree!




We also saw the meeting hall which was built on the steep slope by the lake where the village hold meetings.  We proceeded to walk around the lake and I tried to show them how to use binoculars which some of them liked and some couldn’t get the hang of using.  Needless to say my trainers had to have the full wash treatment when I got home.

Spent Monday in the office. Then Tuesday I travelled to Nyanza district to shadow another ELA.  Also met up with Coral who came over to Rwanda at the same time as me.  The journey took 4 ½ hours and then in the afternoon we travelled in the pouring rain for 1 hour on the back of a moto to a school which has been piloting adult literacy sessions as a way of increasing pupil attendance. 

Adult Literacy class
The school in questions marks have gone up by 100% in the last year – (how much of this is due to the project it is difficult to say.  There were two classes full of adults there (mothers with babies, old men and women, and younger men)  They have classes for those who can neither read nor write and classes for those who want to study entrepreneurialism and agriculture etc.  Set off home (another hour on a moto – again in the pouring rain.  Very muddy.  Went out to a local hotel with Coral in the evening and had a fish brochette and the best chips I have had since arriving in Rwanda.

On Wednesday woke up with a dodgy stomach so took two imodium and then went to see another school (another hour on the moto) where Melissa was doing "What makes a good school training with 7 head teachers from the same sector.  When we finished the rain was coming down in torrents and the clay paths had turned to very slippy sludge.  Slithered home very slowly on the motos getting stuck at every hill. 

Bare feet are best.















Had another immodium as I would be on a bus for the next 5 hours.  Returned to Musanze that afternoon on the bus (played games with a lovely young man who was so smily and happy and played with me all the way.














The boy on the bus.


They got off after about 30  mins and then someone vomited all over the person in front of them (apparently this is a regular occurrence as the Rwandans are not used to travelling on buses.  Wish they would ask the bus to stop though as it wasn’t pleasant the smell all the way home for the 1 ½ hours left!  I nearly bought them a bucket!
At Kigali I went to VSO office and then took a completely wrecked matata to Nyabagogo bus station.  Finally caught the bus back to Musanze at 6pm so arrived home after 8.30.  A long day.
20 October – Peter picked me up and took me to Rwinzovu school.  It was a beautiful morning this morning and the volcanoes looked absolutely stunning and majestic.


  Took lots of photos on the way up.  The school is up a very long, very bumpy and very muddy road which I had to walk in several places. 
Met with the head teachers of two schools Rwinzovu and Nyaribehe.  They were both very interested to see their results and to find out how I could help them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment