Friday 7 February 2014

Christmas 2013 - Bujumbura Burundi

What's going on?
 
First of all sorry its been so long since I wrote a blog.  Life and work has kind of taken over.  I can't believe it is March 2013 since I wrote.  Since then much water has flowed under the bridge. 
I bought a house in Musanze,  thinking I would be here for at least another 18 months to 2 years with VSO.  I met Isaac.   I have been renovating the house.  I left VSO after 22 months in June 2013 because I was offered a job working for the British Council in Kigali on an Innovation for Education Project called Language Supportive Textbooks and Pedagogy.  I am the project manager for this project.  So you can see I have been somewhat pre-occupied!  I have also tried to keep up with my activities supporting schools and people in Musanze in general.  More on that later.......
 
First Christmas as it seems like a long time ago now!
 
As I had just go the job at BC and had not worked up enough leave (or enough money) to venture home at Christmas I decided it would be nice to visit Bujumbura in Burundi.  I had not been there before and many people said it was nice.  Particularly by Lake Tanganyika.  So I decided to book into Pinnacle 19 Beach resort for Christmas.  This place was recommended by a friend of mine who had stayed there.
 
We set off by hire car and drove the whole way.  It took around 12 hours in all but that included a 3 hour wait at the border to get the car through - buy insurance - etc and getting lost in Bujumbura when we arrived.... so it could probably be done in around 10 usually.
 
 
 
We stopped briefly en route at the Museum in Butare (Huye) the former capital of Rwanda for a short rest.  We finally arrived weary but glad to be there.
The place we stayed was lovely. Right on the lake.  Here are the views from the shore.
 
 
 
View towards Bujumbura
 
View towards DRC
Boys fishing by hand in the lake
 
 


Dinner on the first evening.


Christmas Eve all dressed up and going out!
Went out for a lovely meal on Christmas Eve and Atrium A


Xmas day - New top - Thanks Mum x
 

Sights when travelling home



So that was Christmas!  Not exactly ice and turkey roast!  It was lovely and relaxing though.  Following this I spent another relaxing week in Musanze not having to get up for work was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment